Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Autism Awareness Month

This month is very important to me. I spend a lot of my life working with autism, thinking about it and worrying about the way it is spreading. I have been truly blessed to work with amazing children over the past 7 years and I wouldn't trade in one bruise, bite or other injury if given the chance. Now, we are all "aware"! Everyone knows it's Autism Awareness Month..... But what does that mean. 1. Educate yourself. And then educate the people around you. Ignorance is not bliss. YOU NEVER KNOW when it will strike close to home. 1 in 100 people has autism. 5 years ago that number was 1 in 160. Only a year ago it 1 in 110. Know the signs. Understand the symptoms. Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org to learn more! 2. BE UNDERSTANDING! Don't be so quick to judge when you see a tantrum at the grocery store. Don't automatically assume that it's some parent who can't control their kid. There's no sign hanging over our kids. They don't wear a sign or wear a shirt that says "I have Autism". Don't stare, gawk or make more of a scene. You JUST NEVER KNOW! 3. Now, light it up blue. Show your support. Buy an autism sticker. Wear a blue shirt to work on Friday. Get a blue lightbulb from home depot for your front porch. Show your support. And when people ask questions..... EDUCATE THEM with what you now know. The most important thing you can do is know that the kids and families affected by Autism need all the help they can get. There's no test, there's no cure.... There's just help. Get involved....get educated.... LIGHT IT UP BLUE! For the kids of 221, 317 and Room 5. Thank you all for making me a better person. XOXOXOX

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Shannon, we sure do miss you! You are such a talented and gifted educator for our kids. I love your passion and love!!

Shannon said...

Melissa, I miss you all too! It's a different animal being in public school! I hope you are well!
The baby is BEAUTIFUL!

Andrea said...

Your drive and desire to educate never stops! I think of you often!